Rebuilding the Station
During the 1920s the Portersfoote Bunting Light Railway decided to rebuild its terminus at Great Bunting, widening the overall roofed station to accommodate two tracks, one of which was for undercover storage of rolling stock. The need for this was brought about by the collapse here of the carriage shed, which had been erected on poor foundations. The original 1869 stone station building was demolished and replaced with a less grandiose wood and corrugated iron structure. Stonework was donated to St. Basil's, the parish church, and used to construct a very tall spire on top of the existing tower, not without some misgivings in view of the wafer-thin foundations known to exist beneath this ancient edifice. All work was carried out simultaneously and without any interruption to normal train services, an organisational triumph indeed!